International Florist Organisation held its General Assembly in Graz, Austria, on October 5. The annual event was hosted by our Austrian member association WKO, alongside the country’s famous Alpe Adria Cup 2019. A record number of delegates were involved, and several important issues were announced and decided. We sum them up for you, below.
Europa Cup 2020:
• The development of the Europa Cup 2020 – held on June 5 & 6 in Katowice, Poland – is going well. An incredible amount of work has been put in by the organising committee from Polish florist association SFP, and they have a lot to show for their efforts. The championship regulations and enrolment process will be officially announced to the members of Florint end of this month, October. Enrolment will be opened to non-members in December. Visit the Europa Cup website for more info, and bookmark it as more announcements are coming up!
• With the increasing internationalisation of Florint, has come the gradual globalisation of the Europa Cup. Next year’s Europa Cup 2020 will also become a more ‘Open Cup’, with contestants from all over the world taking part. This includes competitors from new Florint member countries like China and South Korea, as well as other nations that are not (yet) members of Florint.
Florint’s Entrepreneurship & Marketing Program:
• The Florint Toolbox now contains 8 instruments that offer significant added value for our member associations. In the coming years we will, together, be working out which instruments are the most suitable to develop and apply in each of our 23 member countries.
• Florint is also offering its members participation in the STAP program. This is a step-by-step support path for entrepreneurial development, which has established an excellent reputation in its origin country, The Netherlands.
Florint’s Craftsmanship & Education Program:
• Florint’s education support program for its member associations is entering a new phase. We have successfully developed a complete floristry program for vocational education over the last 5 years, together with our partners in the European Platform on Vocation Education & Training (EPFVET). In the coming years, Florint will focus on implementing this added-value program in our member countries that lack a formal education system for florists.
Elections to the Direction Committee:
• Mr Marco Maasse, from The Netherlands, was re-elected to the Direction Committee (the ‘Board of Directors) of Florint for a second 3-year term.
• Ms Lena Stryjska, from Poland, was elected to the Direction Committee of Florint for her first 3-year term. Congratulations are in order!
The cover photo at the top of this article comes courtesy of Danish photographer Jens Poulsen, of Blomster Magazine and the Danish florist association ‘Danske Blomsterhandlere’.